tempera on paper
54 x 45.7 cm (wymiar z ramą 98 x 89 cm)
signed lower right : Leopold Gottlieb
inscription on the reverse: Mr Cohn.
- Riverdale collection, New York
- Pion: A literary and social weekly,, 1935, nr 27 (92), s. 7
- Exhibition of works by Leopold Gottlieb, Institute of Art Propaganda, Warsaw, June1935, nr 40, s. 20
- Artur Tanikowski,Wizerunki człowieczeństwa, rytuały powszedniości. Leopold Gottlieb i jego dzieło, Krakow, 2011,str. 186
- Między Montmartre’ema Montparnasse’em. Dzieła artystów polskich działających w Paryżu w latach 1900–1939, z kolekcji prywatnych, Muzeum Śląskie, Katowice, 2017, s. 183 (il.)
In Arthur Tanikowski's words, monographer of Leopold Gottlieb, who included the offered picture to marine- fishing cycle, it is very important and interesting work, in undermentioned words he refers to it in his monography from 2011:
... Such a primacy of expression over the subject, expression intensely realted to the abstraction of form over the essence, which the artist, in his legacy, presumably before or afterwards, has never reached [...]. In the picture "On the boat", the deck is crowded of six people crew, struggling with their oars and trammels, but depicted in much more harmonious composition than on the previous images, based on the figure of the triangle, emphasizied by the way of shaping the background of already known landscape motive ... p. 186.